Digital marketing agencies need to have expertise in several different areas. Explore the key roles and responsibilities within a successful modern agency.
Marketing agencies are the driving force behind successful marketing campaigns, employing professionals with distinct roles and responsibilities. Understanding the various jobs within a marketing agency is essential for both industry newcomers and businesses aiming to optimise their marketing efforts.
Here are the different marketing jobs we will cover:
- Business Development
- Account Managers
- Social Media Management
We’ll be diving into the details of each role below. In each section, we’ll give further explanation of the roles and responsibilities that each job has. This will give you a better idea of how a digital marketing agency like MO operates behind the scenes!
What are the roles and responsibilities of different marketing agency jobs?
- Business Development: Drive business growth by identifying and pursuing new clients, presenting solutions, and closing deals.
- Account Managers: The primary point of contact for clients, managing relationships, understanding their needs, and ensuring the successful execution of marketing campaigns.
- Operations: Oversee project management, resource allocation, and workflow optimisation to ensure the efficient and effective execution of marketing initiatives.
- Strategists: Analyse market trends, consumer behaviour, and competition to develop data-driven marketing strategies that align with client objectives and drive measurable results.
- Design: Bring creativity and visual storytelling to digital marketing agencies, creating visually appealing assets that support marketing campaigns and enhance brand identity.
- Copywriting: Craft persuasive and engaging written content across various channels, effectively conveying brand messages and driving desired actions.
- Social Media Management: Develop strategies, create and curate content, engage with the audience, and analyse performance to build a strong social media presence and foster customer relationships.
- Technologists: Handle web development, creating visually appealing and user-friendly websites while implementing and customising CRM systems to optimise customer interactions and streamline business processes.
What is a Marketing Agency?
First of all, what exactly is a digital marketing agency? A digital marketing agency is a professional service provider specialising in assisting businesses with their online marketing efforts.
These agencies offer a range of services, strategies, and expertise to help businesses establish a strong online presence, reach their target audience, and achieve their marketing goals.
Digital marketing agencies employ a team of experts skilled in various disciplines, such as SEO, social media management, content creation, web design, and data analysis.
They work closely with clients to develop tailored digital marketing strategies, execute campaigns, and measure performance to ensure maximum effectiveness and return on investment.
Each digital marketing agency is unique and will have its own offering. For example, here at MO Agency, we specialise in HubSpot CRM implementation. Other agencies might prefer to use different CRMs, and there are even agencies that don’t use CRMs at all.
With this in mind, you need to remember that each agency is completely different to the next!
Different Marketing Agency Roles and Responsibilities
Each digital marketing agency is set up with its unique structure. However, in the majority of cases, the roles and responsibilities are similar across different agencies. We’ll cover the most common roles below.
1. Business Development
The sales department plays a critical role in driving revenue growth and acquiring new clients. The sales team acts as a bridge between the agency and potential clients, actively identifying opportunities, showcasing the agency's services, and ultimately closing deals.
Their main goal is to generate business and expand the agency's client base. Here's an overview of the sales department's roles and responsibilities:
- Prospecting and Lead Generation
- Client Consultation
- Proposal Development
- Sales Presentations and Demonstrations
- Negotiation and Closing
- Relationship Management
- Market Analysis and Feedback
2. Account Managers
Account managers (CSM) hold a vital role in a digital marketing agency, acting as the primary point of contact between the agency and its clients.
They are responsible for building and maintaining strong client relationships, understanding client goals, and ensuring the successful execution of marketing strategies. Their responsibilities include:
- Client Relationship Management
- Strategy Development
- Project Management
- Campaign Performance Analysis
- Client Reporting and Presentations
- Upselling and Cross-selling
- Client Retention and Satisfaction
Operations form the backbone of a digital marketing agency, ensuring efficient and effective project execution and overall agency performance.
Within the operations department, two key roles that play a significant part in driving operational success are project managers and agency directors.
Project managers are responsible for overseeing the planning, coordination, and execution of marketing projects within the agency. Their primary focus is on managing project timelines, resources, and deliverables to ensure successful campaign implementation. Project managers are responsible for the following tasks:
- Project Planning
- Team Coordination
- Risk Management
- Budget Monitoring
- Reporting and Documentation
Agency service directors are responsible for overseeing the overall service delivery and performance of the agency's client accounts. They ensure client expectations are met or exceeded, drive operational efficiencies, and optimise service quality. A service director's key responsibilities include:
- Overall agency performance
- Day-to-day agency management
- Account Management
- Process Improvement
- Team Leadership
- Performance Analysis
- Client Engagement
Strategists are key to providing the vision and direction necessary for effective marketing campaigns.
They have a deep understanding of market trends, consumer behaviour, and industry insights, using this knowledge to develop strategic plans that drive business growth. An agency's strategists have the following responsibilities:
- Strategic Planning
- Client Collaboration
- Data Analysis and Insights
- Competitive Analysis
- Campaign Optimisation
- Paid Media
- Industry and Trend Monitoring
- Strategic Recommendations
Visual content plays a massive part in capturing audience attention, conveying brand messages, and driving engagement.
Graphic design and video editing are two crucial components within digital marketing agencies that bring creativity and visual storytelling to life. Here are the responsibilities of design team members:
- Graphic Design
- Creating Visual Brand Identity
- Designing Web and Social Media Graphics
- Crafting Email Marketing Designs
- Designing Landing Pages and User Interfaces
- Creating Visual Content for Content Marketing
- Video Editing
- Optimising Videos for Different Platforms
- Video Effects and Transitions
- Video Storytelling
Copywriting is a fundamental element of digital marketing that focuses on crafting persuasive and compelling written content to engage audiences and drive desired actions.
Copywriters in digital marketing agencies play a crucial role in conveying brand messages, communicating value propositions, and ultimately influencing consumer behaviour. Here are some of the responsibilities that copywriters have in digital marketing agencies:
- Crafting Engaging Content
- Writing Website Copy
- Creating Compelling Ad Copy
- Crafting Social Media Copy
- Writing Email Marketing Content
- Optimising SEO Copy
- Storytelling and Brand Messaging
- Editing and Proofreading
7. Social Media Management
Social media has become an integral part of modern digital marketing strategies, offering businesses a platform to engage with their target audience, build brand awareness, and drive conversions.
Social media managers in digital marketing agencies play a pivotal role in managing and optimising social media presence. Below are some of the core responsibilities that are given to social media managers:
- Social Media Strategy Development
- Audience Research and Targeting
- Platform Selection
- Content Planning
- Influencer Collaboration
- Content Creation and Management
- Content Creation
- Content Selection
- Visual Design
- Content Optimisation
- Community Engagement and Customer Service
- Social Listening
- Audience Engagement
- Performance Analysis and Reporting
- Analytics and Insights
In the ever-evolving landscape of digital marketing, technology plays a crucial role in driving success and delivering exceptional results.
Tech teams within digital marketing agencies are responsible for web development and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) implementation, enabling businesses to create effective online experiences and optimise customer interactions. Let’s dive into the key responsibilities that tech teams have:
- Web Development
- Website Design and User Experience
- Front-End Development
- Back-End Development
- Content Management Systems (CMS)
- Website Maintenance and Optimisation
- CRM Implementation
- Customisation and Integration
- Data Migration
- Training and Support
- Reporting and Analytics
Digital marketing is an ever-evolving field, and no agency will ever be identical to the next one. There’s always a new trend to explore, new technologies to implement, and new techniques to leverage. That’s why you might find that not all marketing agencies have the same roles and responsibilities, and you'll often find overlap between departments and positions.
We hope this overview gives you an idea of how digital marketing agencies are staffed and the roles and responsibilities people are responsible for.